Texas is one of the biggest and most diverse states in the U.S. It is especially known for the Country and cowboy culture, which is widely depicted in movies, music, and literature. Let’s take a look at the following 33 Texas quiz questions and answers to see how much you know about it.
Texas Quiz Questions And Answers
1. What is the nickname of Texas?
A. Lone Star State
B. Golden State
C. Sunshine State
2. Which of the following former U.S. presidents was born in Texas?
A. Bill Clinton
B. Dwight D. Eisenhower
C. George W. Bush
3. Which city is the capital of Texas?
4. What is the most populous city in Texas?
C. San Antonio
5. Texas shares the border with which country to the south and southwest?
6. What is the nickname for the group of high-tech companies with offices in Austin, such as Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Cisco, eBay, Paypal, and more?
A. Silicon Hills
B. Silicon Peaks
C. Silicon Ranges
7. Which of the following Texas-based professional sports teams currently plays in the NBA?
A. Houston Rockets
B. Houston Texans
C. Houston Astros
8. What is the state motto of Texas?
9. What is the nickname for Austin?
A. The cowboy capital of the world
B. The live music capital of the world
C. The taco capital of the world
10. When did Texas officially become a state of the U.S.?
11. The name “Texas” is derived from the Caddo word “táysha”. What does it mean?
12. What was the first European country to control the area of Texas?
13. What is the colour of the star on the flag of Texas?
14. What was the political status of Texas before it joined the Union in 1845?
A. A state of Mexico
B. An independent republic
C. An independent kingdom
15. What is the largest and busiest airport in Texas?
A. Dallas Love Field
B. George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport
C. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
16. What is the first freeway built in Texas in 1948?
A. North Freeway
B. Julius Schepps Freeway
C. Gulf Freeway
17. Founded in 1883, what is the oldest institution in the University of Texas System?
A. The University of Texas at Austin
B. The University of Texas at Arlington
C. The University of Texas at El Paso
18. Which tall cowboy figure has served as the cultural and marketing icon of the State Fair of Texas since 1952?
A. Giant Tex
B. Big Tex
C. Gigantic Tex
19. When you say something is Texas-sized, what does it mean?
A. It is very small
B. It is perfectly fitted
C. It is very large
20. Which historic fortress and mission compound in San Antonio is one of the most recognised symbols of Texas?
A. The Alamo Mission
B. The Espada Mission
C. The San Juan Mission
21. What famous slogan was first introduced in 1986 to reduce littering on Texas roadways?
A. How dare you do it in Texas?
B. Don’t mess with Texas
C. Bring your trash with you!
22. The discovery of oil at which oil field in Texas led to the Texas oil boom during the early 20th century?
A. Lakeview Gusher
C. Yates Oil Field
23. Who is widely known as the “Father of Texas”?
A. Sam Houston
B. Stephen F. Austin
C. Lorenzo de Zavala
24. Which food was adopted as the state dish of Texas in 1977?
A. Chile con Queso
25. When does Texas celebrate its Independence Day each year?
A. March 2
B. July 4
C. September 6
26. Which popular carbonated soft drink was created by a pharmacist in Texas in the 1880s?
A. Mountain Dew
B. Sierra Mist
C. Dr Pepper
27. What is the state bird of Texas?
A. Bald eagle
28. Except for Russia, how many European countries have a bigger area than Texas?
29. What is the state power grid in Texas, which operates almost independently of the remaining U.S.?
30. The Bracken Cave in Comal County, Texas, is the summer home to millions of which animal?
31. What is the most common natural disaster in Texas?
32. What is the state flower of Texas?
C. Oak-leaf hydrangea
33. What is special about the Big Tree in Rockport, Texas?
A. It is the biggest tree in the U.S.
B. It is more than 1,000 years old
C. It was planted by the first U.S. President – George Washington
What do you think about these Texas quiz questions and answers? We hope you learn some interesting facts and enjoy your time. For more challenges on the same topic, check out the following trivia New York quiz.