Traditionally, people in the UK set off fireworks and light bonfires to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day. But do you actually know the history behind this special event? Let’s try the following 35 trivia Guy Fawkes quiz questions and answers to test your knowledge and learn more.
Guy Fawkes Quiz Questions And Answers
1. When do people celebrate Guy Fawkes Day annually?
A. 5 January
B. 5 August
C. 5 November
2. What is the other name of Guy Fawkes Day?
A. The Fire Night
B. The Bonfire Night
C. The Revolution Night
3. The history of the Guy Fawkes Night originated from which historical event?
A. The Pope Plot
B. The Gunpowder Plot
C. The Catiline Conspiracy
4. What was the main purpose of the Gunpowder Plot?
A. To poison the king
B. To blow up the House of Lords
C. To overthrow the queen
5. In which English city was Guy Fawkes born?
6. In which year did the Gunpowder Plot take place?
7. Which monarch was the conspirators of the Gunpowder planning to kill?
A. King James I
B. King George I
C. Queen Anne
8. How many barrels of gunpowder did the search party find with Guy Fawkes?
9. What was the real name of Guy Fawkes?
A. Thomas Fawkes
B. Guido Fawkes
C. Oswald Fawkes
10. Though Guy Fawkes is often associated with the Gunpowder Plot, who was actually the leader of the group?
A. Robert Catesby
B. James Johnson
C. Thomas Crouch
11. What was the religion of the Gunpowder Plot’s conspirators?
C. Roman Catholic
12. What was the role of Guy Fawkes in the Gunpowder Plot?
A. To light the fuse
B. The set up the powder
C. To organise secret meetings
13. Which of the following English actor is actually the descendent of Robert Catesby, the leader of the Gunpowder Plot?
A. Tom Hiddleston
B. Gary Oldman
C. Kit Harington
14. Which play by William Shakespeare is often said to be a comment on the Gunpowder Plot?
C. King Lear
15. Which gingerbread cake, often made with black treacle and oatmeal, is often associated with Bonfire Night?
16. Which event took place at the time of the Gunpowder Plot?
A. The birthday of the king
B. The state opening of the parliament
17. Why was the Gunpowder Plot found out?
A. A guard saw Guy Fawkes with gunpowder
B. Someone ran into the parliament to warn
C. An anonymous letter was sent
18. Which of the following movies was influenced by the story of Guy Fawkes?
B. V for Vendetta
19. The Guy Fawkes mask is a famous icon in pop culture. Which of the following groups often wear it?
A. Political protesters
C. Crime witnesses
20. How many people were there in the Gunpowder Plot?
21. The Gunpowder Plot leads to which ritual each time the Parliament opens?
A. Security check for explosives
B. The Queen or King cannot attend
C. Parliament leaders should be in different places
22. If King James I died of the explosion, who would be chosen by the conspirators to be the replacement?
A. A noble
B. A prime minister
C. The king’s daughter
23. Guy Fawkes is named after which of the following?
A. An island
B. A town
C. A mountain
24. Before joining the Gunpowder Plot, Guy Fawkes was a soldier fighting for which country in the Eighty Years’ War?
25. During the Gunpowder Plot, which fake name was used by Guy Fawkes?
A. Steven Archer
B. Thomas Gladstone
C. John Johnson
26. In the Harry Potter series, which kind of pet is named Fawkes by Albus Dumbledore?
A. A phoenix
B. An owl
C. A cat
27. When children take their guy around the neighbourhood, what would they ask for?
A. A penny
B. A candy
C. A cake
28. In 2002, Guy Fawkes was voted into the BBC’s list of 100 Greatest Britons in which position?
29. How did Guy Fawkes die?
A. He was shot during a fight
B. He was hanged
C. He committed suicide
30. What did the conspirators of the Gunpowder Plot want?
A. To restore the Tudor dynasty
B. To enthrone a Catholic monarch
C. To reduce trade tariffs
31. How did the conspirators get the gunpowder into position?
A. They dug a tunnel under parliament
B. They rented a cellar under parliament
C. They dressed as lords to bring the barrels
32. Guy Fawkes confessed about the Gunpowder Plot after how many days of torture?
A. 2 days
B. 7 days
C. 10 days
33. What happened to Catholics in England after the Gunpowder Plot?
A. They were all killed
B. They were forbidden to be soldiers or lawyers
C. They were converted into Protestants
34. To celebrate Bonfire Night, some communities throw dummies of Guy Fawkes and which religious figure on the bonfires?
B. King James I
C. Archbishop of York
35. The last one on this list of Guy Fawkes quiz questions: Who received an anonymous letter that warned about the Gunpowder Plot?
A. Lord Monteagle
B. Thomas Percy
C. King James I
How do you think about these Guy Fawkes quiz questions and answers? We hope you have learned something new and enjoyed them. For more interesting facts and challenges, check out the following trivia British monarchy quiz.