Athletics is an umbrella term for a group of sports that require strength and speed. These include sprinting, jumping, throwing, running, and other combined versions. Check out these 30 trivia athletics quiz questions and answers to see how much you know about these activities.
Athletics Quiz Question And Answers
1. Which of the following is not a type of athletics events?
2. Which of the following is not a field event in athletics?
A. Long jump
B. 100m sprint
C. Discus throwing
3. How many lanes are there in a typical running track?
4. What does the word “athlete” mean in Greek?
5. When was athletics first introduced to the modern Olympics Summer Games?
6. Which athlete is generally considered to be the greatest sprinter of all time with 8 Olympic gold medals and 19 world records?
A. Carl Lewis
B. Usain Bolt
C. Jesse Owens
7. Which of the following athletes have won gold medals for Great Britain in the Olympics Summer Games?
A. Mo Farah
B. Jessica Ennis
8. What is decathlon in athletics?
A. An event with 3 field and track events
B. An event with 7 field and track events
C. An event with 10 field and track events
9. In which athletic even do contesters have to throw a very heavy round ball as far as possible?
A. Shot put
10. Which of the following is a short distance in sprinting?
A. 300 metres
B. 400 metres
C. 500 metres
11. What is a relay race in athletics
A. A race in which members of each team take turns completing parts of the race
B. A race in which each athlete has to jump over an obstacle
C. A race with a distance more than 10,000 metres
12. In athletics, field events include which two events?
A. Sprinting and running
B. Jumping and throwing
C. Throwing and sprinting
13. Which country will be the host of the 2022 World Athletics Championships?
A. The United Kingdom
C. The United States
14. Which of the following athletic events was played in the ancient Olympic Games?
15. Who was the first athlete to win medals for Great Britain at three consecutive Olympic Games?
A. Steve Backley
B. Mo Farah
C. Laura Muir
16. Who is the only female British athlete to won titles in Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, European Championships, and World Championships?
A. Jessica Ennis-Hill
B. Sally Gunnell
C. Katarina Johnson-Thompson
17. Which of the following is the right sequence in the triple jump?
A. Step, Hop, Jump
B. Step, Jump, Hop
C. Hop, Step, Jump
18. How many runners are there in each team in a relay race?
19. How heavy is the metal ball used for men’s hammer throw?
A. 4 kilograms or 8.82 pounds
B. 7.26 kilograms or 16 pounds
C. 10.43 kilograms or 23 pounds
20. What is the current world record in the high jump hold by Javier Sotomayor since 1993?
A. 2 metres 35
B. 2 metres 45
C. 2 metres 55
21. How many laps do athletics have to complete in a 10,000m race on a standard outdoor athletics track?
22. What is the opening event in the men’s heptathlon?
A. Pole vault
B. 60 metres hurdles
C. 60 metres
23. In a 400m hurdles race, how many hurdles do athletes have to jump over?
24. In sprint events of all major championships, how many false starts are allowed before the offending athletes are disqualified?
25. Which of the following throwing events in athletics is not performed with a safety cage?
B. Hammer throw
26. The headquarters of World Athletics, the international governing body for athletics, is located in which European country?
27. As of 2019, which country won the most medals in the World Athletics Championships?
B. The United States
28. All forms of athletics are individual sports, except which event?
A. Cross country running
B. Relay racing
C. 400 metres hurdles
29. Which of the following movies is based on the true story of British athletes in the 1924 Olympics?
A. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
B. Spirit of the Marathon
C. Chariots of Fire
30. How often is the world athletics championships held?
A. Every year
B. Every two years
C. Every four years
How do you find about these athletics quiz questions and answers? We hope you have a lot of fun and learn some interesting facts about the world of sport. For more challenges, check out the following trivia table tennis quiz.