Swimming is undoubtedly one of the most popular activities and sports around the world, especially during the summer. Immersing the body in cool water is not only fun, but it is also a good way to relax your mind and keep fit. To see how much you know about it, check out the following 30 trivia swimming quiz questions and answers.
Swimming Quiz Question And Answers
1. Which of the following words refers to a swimming style?
A. A pull
B. A kick
C. A stroke
2. How many strokes are often performed in international swimming competitions?
3. Which of the following is not a swimming stroke?
4. In international team races, how many swimmers are there in each team?
5. Which country has won the most medals in swimming in the Summer Olympics Games?
B. The United States
6. Who is widely considered the greatest and the most decorated Olympian swimmers of all time with 23 gold medals, 3 silver medals, and 2 bronze medals?
A. Matt Biondi
B. Mark Spitz
C. Michael Phelps
7. At which age did Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe become the youngest world champion?
8. When did swimming first become part of the modern Olympic Summer Games?
9. Which of the following devices is used to record swimmers’ times at major competitions?
A. Stop watches
B. Touch pads
C. GPS timers
10. The freestyle stroke in swimming was developed based on a traditional swimming style in which country?
B. Solomon Islands
C. Marshall Islands
11. What is the position of the face in the water in backstroke?
A. Face up
B. Face down
C. Alternating between up and down
12. How long is a lap in an Olympic-sized swimming pool?
A. 50 metres
B. 100 metres
C. 200 metres
13. Which is often considered to be the most difficult stroke in swimming?
14. How many laps does an Olympic athlete swim in a 10,000-metre freestyle marathon?
A. 200 laps
B. 500 laps
C. 1000 laps
15. Where is the headquarters of the International Swimming Federation or FINA located?
A. Nice, France
B. Lausanne, Switzerland
C. Hamburg, Germany
16. What is the only event in open water to be included in the Olympic schedule?
A. 5 kilometres
B. 10 kilometres
C. 25 kilometres
17. In breaststroke, the legs and arms of the swimmer move like which animal?
18. Which is the name of a kick that swimmers often used to maximise their speed at the start and after the turns of a race?
A. Rocket kick
B. Moon kick
C. Dolphin kick
19. What is the benefit of wearing a swim cap?
A. To improve your overall look
B. To reduce drag by keeping hair out of the way
C. To protect the hair from chemicals in the water
20. In major competitions, both men and women swimmers are not allowed to wear swimsuits going past which part of the legs?
21. Which country will host the FINA World Championships 2022?
A. South Korea
22. Which professional swimmer is the only one to win American, British, European, Commonwealth, Olympic, and world titles at the same time?
A. David Wilkie
B. John Hencken
C. Gunnar Larsson
23. In which U.S. city can you find the International Swimming Hall of Fame?
A. Phoenix, Arizona
B. Fort Lauderdale, Florida
C. Sacramento, California
24. Which of the following events has not been competed in the Olympic Games?
A. Swimming with weights
B. Swimming obstacle race
C. Underwater swimming
25. What does the acronym IM stand for in swimming?
A. International Master
B. Individual Medley
C. Internal Meeting
26. Which of the following is the right order of swim strokes in an individual medley?
A. Freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly
B. Backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, freestyle
C. Butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle
27. What is the slowest stroke in competitive swimming?
28. Which swimsuit brand is so popular that the name of the company becomes synonymous with racing bathing suits?
29. Which of the following multisport race consists of swimming?
30. In butterfly and freestyle stroke, a swimmer can stay submerged for how many metres after the start and each turn?
A. 5 metres
B. 10 metres
C. 15 metres
How do you find about these swimming quiz questions and answers? We hope you have a lot of fun and learn some interesting facts about this sport. For more challenges, check out the following trivia archery quiz, or this quiz about Olympics.