Like other branches of science, geology plays an important role in learning more about the world around all of us. Whether you are a student in this field or want to improve your knowledge, let’s have a try at the following 31 geology quiz questions and answers.
Geology Quiz Questions And Answers
1. Geology belongs to which branch of science?
A. Social sciences
B. Natural sciences
C. Formal sciences
2. What is the lithosphere?
A. The core of Earth
B. The middle layer of Earth
C. The outer layer of Earth
3. How old are the Earth’s oldest rocks?
A. 2 million years old
B. 100 million years old
C. 4 billion years old
4. Which of the following is NOT a top variety of rocks on Earth?
5. What has carved and formed the Grand Canyon in Arizona over millions of years?
A. A river
6. What is the percentage of the Earth’s surface covered with oceans?
A. Around 25 per cent
B. Around 54 per cent
C. Around 71 per cent
7. What on Earth have been formed from the eruption of submarine volcanoes?
8. Mauna Kea is the highest volcano mountain on Earth with a total height of more than 10,000 meters. Where is it located?
9. Which scientist is widely known as the father of modern geology?
A. Louis Agassiz
B. Nicolas Steno
C. James Hutton
10. Which prize is generally regarded as the Nobel Prize for geology?
A. Vetlesen Prize
B. Lyell Medal
C. Gustav Steinmann Medal
11. What is a xenolith?
A. A type of rock mixed from multiple types
B. A small rock with a diamond inside
C. A piece of rock inside another kind of rock
12. Geologists typically use a GIS for mapping tasks. What does the term GIS stand for?
A. General Information Satellite
B. Geographic Information System
C. Geographic International Structure
13. What is the hardest known mineral on Earth?
14. What is the main cause of vibrations that lead to earthquakes?
A. Weather changes on the Earth’s surface
B. Volcano eruptions under the ocean
C. Rocks shifting or breaking
15. What is rock mainly composed of?
A. Solid crystals of various minerals
B. Sands getting harder over time
C. Remains of dead plants or animals
16. Which type of clastic sedimentary rocks is typically found on beaches?
B. Black shales
17. Which of the following fact is true about a dormant volcano?
A. It has never erupted
B. It has not erupted in a long time, but would erupt again somewhere in the future
C. It erupts in a cycle
18. What is the nickname of the mineral pyrite?
A. Fool’s gold
B. Fool’s silver
C. Fool’s copper
19. Which word is used for a scientist who studies fossil records to learn about the history of life on Earth?
A. A palaeontologist
B. A seismologist
C. An archaeologist
20. Limestone is commonly used in the production of what?
21. What is the name of the supercontinent that existed 300 million years ago?
22. What is the main difference between lava and magma?
A. Lava is hard rock, while magma is in a liquid form
B. Magma is cooler than lava
C. Lava is above the crust, while magma is below it
23. What is the Mohs scale used to measure?
A. Composition of minerals
B. Hardness of minerals
C. Energy of minerals
24. Which geological term refers to long breaks in rocks that form the Earth’s crust?
25. Which of the following is NOT the main cause of erosion, the process in which soil or rock breaks down over time?
B. Flowing water
26. Which of the following is a type of volcano?
A. Cinder cone
27. Hydrogeology is a branch of geology. What does it study?
A. The shape of the Earth’s surface
B. Water under the Earth’s surface
C. Hydrogen-containing rocks
28. Where can a tsunami wave move fastest?
A. On rivers
B. In deep water
C. In shallow water
29. What is the fastest moving continent in the world?
30. Which type of rock is magma or lava?
A. Igneous rock
B. Sedimentary rock
C. Metamorphic rock
31. Which fossil fuel mainly consists of undecayed plant matter that accumulated over time?
What do you think about these geology quiz questions and answers? We hope you learn some interesting facts and enjoy your time. For more challenges on the same topic, check out the following biology quiz or this welding quiz.