It only takes a few hours to learn, but many years of your life to master chess. With numerous strategies and challenges, no surprise this activity has so many lovers all over the world. Check the following trivia chess quiz questions and answers to learn more about its history and rules.
Chess Quiz Questions and Answers
1. What is the total number of squares on a chess board?
2. Which piece could be “checkmated” in chess?
3. At the start of a chess game, how many pieces are there in total on a chess board?
4. What is the name of the governing body of international chess competition?
A. International Chess Federation – FIDE
B. International Chest Organization – ICO
C. International Chest Association – ICA
5. Which is the most powerful piece on a chess board?
6. Which is the least powerful piece on a chess board?
7. Who was generally recognised to be the first World Chess Champion in 1886?
A. Wilhelm Steinitz
B. Stefan Leibniz
C. Alexander Pavlov
8. What is the highest title for professional chess players?
A. Super master
B. Life-time master
9. Chess is originated from which country?
10. Which player can make the first move in a chess game?
A. Decided by tossing a coin
B. The player with black pieces
C. The player with white pieces
11. Which of the following moves allows for a change of positions between a rook and king and puts them side by side?
12. Which piece can only move one square to any side in each move?
13. Which piece can jump over another piece in a move?
14. Which piece can only move diagonally in a move?
15. When a pawn reaches the other side of the chess board, it would be exchanged for any lost piece. What is this strategy called?
16. What is the condition in which a player cannot many any move while the other one has not checked yet?
17. Which is the only piece on a chess board that cannot check a king?
18. Which piece can move only in a forward direction?
19. How can a chess game finish in a draw?
A. The game reaches a stalemate
B. Both players agree with a draw
C. Both A and B
20. To achieve the Scholar’s Mate, how many moves might be needed?
21. What does the word “checkmate” mean in Persian?
A. King is dead
B. King needs help
C. King is helpless
22. In which year was the World Chess Federation officially founded?
23. What do we call the rows on a chess board?
24. What do we call the columns on a chess board?
25. Squares on a chess board are identified by which characters?
A. Two letters
B. Two numbers
C. One letter and one number
26. What is the maximum number of squares that a rook would cross in a single move?
27. Which piece is put next to the rook on the chess board at the start of a game?
28. What is the maximum number of squares that a pawn can cross in one move?
29. Which piece is involved in an en passant strategy?
30. What is the possible minimum number of moves to win a chess game?
31. What is the other name for the rooks?
32. Strategies in chess are used by economists as a basis for which theory?
A. International trade theory
B. Financial theory
C. Game theory
33. What is the name of the official ranking system designed by FIDE for professional chess players?
34. When were the modern rules for chess standardised?
A. 19th century
B. 20th century
C. 21st century
35. How many categories of pieces are there on a chess board?
36. In addition to checkmate, how can a player win a chess game?
A. Run out of time
B. The opponent resigns
C. Both A and B
37. Chess is featured in which of the following famous books?
A. The Lord of the Rings
B. Charlie Bone
C. Harry Potter
38. To be awarded the Grandmaster title, a player must have at least how many points in the ELO rating?
39. Which piece can only stay in squares with the same colour, black or white, during the whole chess game?
40. Which piece has to deviate from the usual movement to capture another piece?
We hope you have fun and great moments with these chess quiz questions and answers. Check out the following post on badminton quiz or this quiz about ice hockey, if you still have more time and want to challenge yourself. Not a fan of chess or other sports? Try this video games trivia quiz instead.