Everyone knows the classic movie “Jurassic Parks,” but the world of dinosaurs is much more varied and diverse. They used to be the dominant species on Earth million years ago. See how much you know about these ancient animals with the following 45 trivia dinosaur quiz questions and answers.
Dinosaur Quiz Questions and Answers
1. Most of the dinosaur fossils have been found on which continent?
B. North America
C. South America
2. When did all dinosaurs become extinct?
A. 20 million years ago
B. 35 million years ago
C. 65 million years ago
3. Which of the following animals lived at the same period as dinosaurs?
B. Sabre-toothed cats
C. Both answers above are wrong
4. What are fossilised dinosaur droppings are called scientifically?
5. The first bones of dinosaurs were discovered around 2,000 years ago in China. At that time, people considered them to be the bones of which animal?
6. Today birds are descendants of which dinosaurs?
7. What does the word “dinosaur” mean in Ancient Greek?
A. Giant animal
B. Ancient reptile
C. Terrible lizard
8. Which of the following dinosaurs had the most similarities with rhinos?
9. The term “dinosaur” was first coined by which palaeontologist?
A. William Buckland
B. John Ostrom
C. Richard Owen
10. Tyrannosaurus rex lived in which historical period?
11. Which factor led to the extinction of dinosaurs on Earth?
A. A virus
B. An asteroid
C. A rise in temperature
12. Which was the largest type of dinosaur?
13. Which dinosaur species was considered to be the smartest group with the largest ratio of the brain weight to the body weight?
14. How did most dinosaurs reproduce?
A. Lay eggs
B. Deliver baby dinosaurs
C. Split their cells
15. What do we call scientists who are specialised in dinosaurs?
16. Who was credited with the discovery of the first dinosaur fossils in 1822?
A. Mary Ann Mantell
B. Gideon Mantell
C. Maria Mantell
17. To which animal family did dinosaurs belong?
18. Based on the food type, to which classification did the majority of dinosaurs belong?
19. What was known as the smallest dinosaur?
20. What was the colour of Tyrannosaurus rex?
21. What was the name of the dinosaurs that have three horns on their head?
22. What was known as the biggest dinosaur?
23. Which of the following dinosaurs ate meat?
24. Before starting the prospecting of dinosaur fossils, which tools would a palaeontologist use?
A. Plaster bandages
B. Satellite photos
25. The majority of dinosaur fossils can be found in which terrain?
26. What was the maximum running speed of a full-grown tyrannosaurus?
A. 19 kilometres per hour
B. 29 kilometres per hour
C. 39 kilometres per hour
27. Parasaurolophus was characterised by its unique crest on the head. What was it used for?
A. Communicate with others
B. Dissipate heat during the summer
C. Breathe under the water
28. The highest number of dinosaur fossils have been found in which country?
A. The United States
29. What is the similarity between modern birds and theropod dinosaurs?
A. They have hollow bones
B. They are carnivores
C. They can fly
30. How many species of dinosaurs have been identified up to know?
31. How long had dinosaurs existed on Earth?
A. 20 million years
B. 110 million years
C. 160 million years
32. In the famous novel “Jurassic Park” by Michael Crichton, how many dinosaur species were mentioned?
33. Which of the following features in dinosaur fossils suggest that they had feathers?
A. Small bumps
B. Feather imprints
34. Scientists use which kind of medical technology to examine dinosaur fossils’ interiors?
C. CAT scan
35. Which of the following dinosaurs are also called “fast thief”?
36. Dinosaurs were evolved from which of the following animals during the Triassic period?
37. The meteor that led to the extinction of dinosaurs struck in which modern-day country?
38. Which of the following commercial airlines is named after a dinosaur?
39. Dinosaurs are basically categorised into two separate groups based on which feature?
A. Structure of the hip bones
B. Eating habits
C. Number of skeletons
40. How many wings did microraptors typically have?
41. How did a stegosaurus protect itself from other enemies?
A. To bite them
B. To run away
C. To swing its spiky tail
42. The fossils of Confuciusornis are mostly found in which Asian country?
43. What is the name of the Styracosaurus in the 2015 animated movie “The Good Dinosaur”?
A. Jungle Riverland
B. Forrest Woodbush
C. Leaflet Sky
44. Which museum has the largest dinosaur gallery in Europe?
A. Natural History Museum, France
B. Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Science, Belgium
C. Natural History Museum, England
45. How many wings do Microraptors have?
What do you think about these dinosaur quiz questions and answers? Maybe they can help you realise your dream to become a true palaeontologist. For those who love animals, check out the following panda quiz to know more about this cute creature, and for those who prefer flowers, check this trivia flower quiz.