Whether you are travelling to London for a short trip or work and live in the capital of England, it is important to learn something about the Tube. It can help you save a lot of time and effort going around the city. Check out these 30 trivia London Tube quiz questions and answers to test your knowledge.
London Tube Quiz Questions and Answers
1. The London Tube is divided into how many zones?
2. Which of the following factors does NOT determine the ticket price?
A. The distance you travel
B. Time of day you travel
C. The area you are living
3. Which of the following colours does not show up on the London Tube map?
4. When was the London Tube first opened and operated?
5. Which of the following facts is true about the London Tube?
A. It is the largest underground passenger railway in the world
B. It is the first underground passenger railway in the world
C. It is the busiest underground passenger railway in the world
6. What do the white and mixed orange lines represent on the London Tube map?
A. Overground train lines
B. Underground train lines
C. Central train lines
7. How many Tube lines are there in total?
8. What is the cheapest option to pay for single fares when travelling with the London Tube?
A. Contactless payments
9. When do Tube services usually start running from Monday to Saturday?
A. 3 a.m.
B. 4 a.m.
C. 5 a.m.
10. Zones 6 and 9 of the Tube cover which part of London?
A. The outskirts
B. The centre
C. The financial districts
11. Which Tube station has up to 23 escalators, more than any other station?
A. London Bridge
B. Canary Wharf
12. Which colour is the Jubilee line?
C. Light blue
13. Why do some Tube lines have more than one colour on the map?
A. They cover different areas at different times of the day
B. Multiple train lines use the same stations and track
C. There are both underground and overground lines
14. Outside the Bethnal Green Tube station stands a memorial called the Stairway to Heaven, which was designed to commemorate a disaster during which historical period?
A. World War I
B. World War II
C. Suez Crisis
15. Which famous American writer attended the inaugural day of the Central Tube line in 1900?
A. Mark Twain
B. Ernest Hemingway
C. John Steinbeck
16. Which of the following movies features the London Tube?
A. Fast and Furious
17. On which two days of the week do some lines run a 24-hour service?
A. Monday and Tuesday
B. Friday and Saturday
C. Sunday and Monday
18. Which is the longest Tube line with a total length of 74 kilometres?
A. Central Line
B. Piccadilly Line
C. Metropolitan Line
19. What is the deepest station on the London Tube, which runs down to 58.5 metres?
C. Finsbury Park
20. Who is currently the owner of the London Tube?
A. A private company
B. The UK government
C. The London government
21. What was discovered in the 1860s during the construction of the Aldgate station?
A. An ancient village
B. A massive grave
C. A huge Viking ship
22. Why do people often call the Northern line with the nickname “the misery line”?
A. Signal failures and delays
B. High criminal rate
C. Too many tourists
23. How much of the London Tube network runs in tunnels?
A. Around 20 per cent
B. Around 45 per cent
C. Around 70 per cent
24. Which of the following is NOT a station in the London Tube?
A. Sloane Square
B. Leicester Square
C. Trafalgar Square
25. The iconic map of the London Tube was designed by Harry Beck in 1931 based on what?
A. An electric circuit
B. A painting
C. A maze
26. The use of which product was banned on the London Tube in 2008?
C. Cannabis-derived products
27. Which station in the London Tube is named after a famous football team?
B. West Ham
28. As of 2021, what is the penalty fare for not having a valid ticket when using the London Tube?
29. Before electrification with a four-rail system in the 1930s, which source of power was used to run the trains in the London Tube?
30. Which Tube line has 60 stations, more than any other line?
A. Circle line
B. District line
C. Central line
What do you think about these London tube quiz questions and answers? We hope you learn some interesting facts about this system. For more challenges on the same topic, check out the following London quiz.