Within only two centuries, trains have quickly become a popular form of transportation all over the world. Let’s check out the following 30 trivia train quiz questions and answers to see how much you know about them.
Train Quiz Questions And Answers
1. In which year was the first steam train introduced in the world?
2. Which animal has long feathers trail behind them called a train, which helps attract the attention of others?
A. Ring-tailed lemur
3. What is the nickname for the London train network?
A. The Tube
B. The Lightning
C. The Worm
4. The term “train” is derived from the Latin word “trahere”. What does it mean?
A. To connect
B. To pull
C. To carry
5. “Murder on the Orient Express” is a detective fiction by which famous writer?
A. Arthur Conan Doyle
B. Dorothy L. Sayers
C. Agatha Christie
6. What is the name of the network of high-speed railway in Japan, which is colloquially known as the bullet train in English?
7. The engine of the first train in the world was powered by what?
8. Which country has the longest railway network in the world?
B. The United States
9. What is the longest railway line in the world that has a total length of approximately 9,290 kilometres?
A. Paris – Constantinople Railway
B. Canadian Pacific Railway
C. Trans-Siberian Railway
10. Which 2013 movie is set in a train that travels around the world when climate changes killed almost all people in the future?
B. Train to Busan
C. Strangers on a Train
11. The first underground railway was constructed in which city in 1863?
12. How can freight trains carry very heavy loads?
A. They consume more power
B. They use multiple engines
C. They make use of gravity
13. The first railway specially designed for high-speed trains was built in which country during the 60s?
B. The United States
14. Which of the following fuels was used in North America during the 19th century to power steam trains?
15. The cog-and-rack trains, which have a cog meshing with a toothed rail on the track, are often used for which kind of terrain?
16. What is the largest train station in the United Kingdom in terms of the number of platforms and floor space?
A. London Waterloo
B. London Paddington
C. London King’s Cross
17. The West Highland Line, which was featured as the Hogwarts Express in the series Harry Potter, is a railway line that connects Mallaig to which Scottish city?
18. Which of the following is an international organisation for managing rail transport?
A. The Association of Railways
B. The International Union of Railways
C. The Global Federation of Railways
19. What is the main disadvantage of rail transport compared to road transport?
A. More expensive
B. Less flexible
C. Less energy efficient
20. When visiting Argentina, you can travel with a tourist train service called the Tren a las Nubes, which means …
A. Train to the Sky
B. Train to the Clouds
C. Train to the Heaven
21. The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is a historic railway station and UNESCO World Heritage Site. In which country is it located?
22. Brewster, Koko, and Wilson are the names of trains in which fictional town?
23. Which train station has the largest number of platforms in the world?
A. Gare Du Nord, Paris
B. Grand Central Terminal, New York City
C. Waterloo Station, London
24. Which of the following countries has no railway network?
C. Saudi Arabia
25. Which technology helps reduces friction and allows trains to run hat higher speeds?
A. Magnetic levitation
B. Smart sensors
C. Automatic train control
26. What does the word “MRT” stand for?
A. Metro regional train
B. Mass regional transit
C. Mass rapid transit
27. The Milk Train is a colloquial term for a train that runs on which part of the day?
A. Very early in the morning
B. Middle of the day
C. Very late at night
28. Which English football club was founded by railway apprentices in 1863?
A. Aston Villa
B. Stoke City
C. West Ham United
29. The Indian Pacific Railway connects which two Australian cities?
A. Perth and Sydney
B. Brisbane and Canberra
C. Sydney and Canberra
30. The Jungfrau Railway is the highest railway in Europe. In which country is it located?
What do you think about these train quiz questions and answers? We hope you learn some interesting facts and enjoy your time. For more challenges on the same topic, check out the following aeroplane quiz.