World War I, said to have been the war to end all wars. It brought an end to four great empires: the German, the Ottoman, the Austro-Hungarian, and the Russian. Take these 41 trivia World War I Quiz Questions and Answers to test what you know.
World War I Quiz Questions and Answers
1. Which event led to World War I?
A. The invasion of Poland
B. The Normandy landings
C. The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand
2. When did the war occur?
A. July 28, 1914 – November 11, 1918
B. September 1, 1939 – September 2, 1945
C. August 2, 1990 – February 28, 1991
3. Which event ended World War I?
A. Paris Peace Conference
B. Creation of the USSR
C. The USA joining the war
4. Which treaty came from the Paris Peace Conference and ended the war?
A. Treaty of Versailles
B. Treaty of Brest-Litovsk
C. Treaty of Kars
5. What was another thing that came from the Paris Peace Conference?
A. The League of Nations
B. The United Nations
C. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization
6. Which factor brought the USA into the war?
A. An accidental explosion on US soil
B. The United Kingdom breaking its treaty with the US
C. Germany attempting to convince Mexico into attacking the US
7. What alliance did France, Russia, and the United Kingdom form?
A. The Triple Entente
B. The Triple Alliance
C. The United Nations
8. Which country was not a part of World War I?
9. What country suffered the least amount of losses?
10. Which type of military conflict was introduced to warfare in WWI?
A. Aerial Warfare
B. Chemical Warfare
C. Nuclear Warfare
11. What was the first battle of the war?
A. Battle of Lorraine
B. Battle of Liège
C. Battle of Charleroi
12. What was the final battle of the war in the Italian Front?
A. Battle of Verdun
B. Battle of Arras
C. Battle of Vittorio Veneto
13. What offensive ended World War I?
A. Hundred Days Offensive
B. Spring Offensive
C. Somme Offensive
14. Which of these was the largest battle of the war?
A. Battle of Vimy Ridge
B. Battle of the Somme
C. Battle of Messines
15. How many British troops were killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme?
16. Who assassinated the Archduke of Austro-Hungary, Franz Ferdinand?
A. Gavrilo Princip
B. Lee Harvey Oswald
C. John Wilkes Booth
17. Which weapon was introduced during World War I?
A. Poison Gas
B. Atomic Bomb
C. The Tank
18. Tanks were introduced to the war to…
A. combat the increasingly-dangerous German army
B. quickly win the war
C. overcome stalemates that arose because of trench warfare
19. Which secret organisation was the killer of Archduke Franz Ferdinand a part of?
A. The Black Death
C. The Black Hand
20. What was the name given to the first tank made in WWI?
A. Little Willie
B. Big Willie
21. What was the first tank deployed to the battlefield?
A. Little Willie
C. Mark I
22. In what year did the USA join the war?
23. How many military deaths were caused by WWI?
A. 10 million
B. 7 million
C. 3 million
24. How many people died from diseases?
A. 2 million
B. 1 million
25. Which country was the first to use flamethrowers?
26. In which battle were tanks first used?
A. Battle of the Vistula River
B. Battle of Limanowa
C. Battle of the Somme
27. Which country did Germany first declare war on?
28. Who were the first to countries to declare war?
A. Germany and England
B. Germany and Russia
C. Austro-Hungary and Serbia
29. Who served as the German emperor during World War I?
A. Frederick III
B. Wilhelm I
C. Wilhelm II
30. Which country organized the most troops in the war?
31. Which of these countries was not part of the Triple Entente?
32. Which act drafted men into the United States army during World War I?
A. Conscription Act
B. Selective Service Act
C. Victory Act
33. How many planes did Red Baron, the most famous German pilot in WWI, shoot down?
A. 20 planes
B. 80 planes
C. 100 planes
34. What was the birth name of the Red Baron?
A. Manfred von Richthofen
B. Albrecht Karl Julius
C. Alexander der Swaisse
35. When is Armistice Day?
A. November 11
B. August 2
C. December 24
36. What was the largest sea battle of World War I?
A. Battle of Jutland
B. Battle of Cape Matapan
C. Battle of Midway
37. Who was the President of the US at the beginning of World War I?
A. Richard Nixon
B. Woodrow Wilson
C. Theodore Roosevelt
38. During Christmas Truce in 1914, what did soldiers from both sides do together?
A. Played football
B. Fought with snowballs
C. Prayed together
39. Which historical event led to the involvement of Russia in World War I?
A. July Days
B. Bolshevik Revolution
C. February Revolution
40. When did the last surviving veteran of World War die?
41. Which treaty officially marked the end of World War I?
A. Treaty of Lausanne
B. Treaty of Sofia
C. Treaty of Versailles
We hope you learned something after taking these trivia World War I Quiz Questions and Answers. Check this Holocaust trivia quiz, or click here for another We Love Quizzes trivia quiz.