Many monarchs went down in history with special nicknames, which tell a lot of things about their lives and achievements. Let’s take a look at the following 26 king nicknames quiz questions and answers to see how much you know.
King Nicknames Quiz Questions And Answers
1. Alexander the Great had created one of the largest empires in history, which stretches from Greece to which Asian country?
2. Which British monarch was nicknamed “The Bloody” due to her massacres of Protestant opponents?
A. Mary I
C. Elizabeth I
3. What is the nickname of Queen Victoria?
A. The mother of Europe
B. The grandmother of Europe
C. The aunt of Europe
4. Which of the following is not a nickname of Edward I, who was King of England between 1272 and 1307?
A. Hammer of the Scots
B. Edward Longshanks
C. Farmer Edward
5. Cnut the Great was the ruler of which empire by uniting three kingdoms: England, Norway, and Denmark from 1013 to 1042?
A. Viking Empire
B. Norse Empire
C. North Sea Empire
6. What is the nickname for Ivan IV Vasilyevich, the first Tsar of all Russia between 1547 and 1584?
A. Ivan the Terrible
B. Ivan the Horrible
C. Ivan the Despicable
7. Which English king was known as Henry Curtmantle due to his shorter cloak than previous kings?
A. Henry I
B. Henry II
C. Henry III
8. What was the nickname for Ivaylo, tsar of Bulgaria from 1278 to 1279?
A. The Potato
B. The Cabbage
C. The Cucumber
9. Louis XIV, who ruled France from 1643 to 1715, was nicknamed “le Roi Soleil”. What does it mean in English?
A. The Invincible King
B. The Sun King
C. The Gold King
10. What was the nickname of Louis V, the last king of the Carolingian dynasty in France?
A. The Do-Everything King
B. The Do-Well King
C. The Do-Nothing King
11. William I the Bad was the king of which Italian kingdom from 1154 to 1166?
A. The Kingdom of Sicily
B. The Kingdom of Naples
C. The Kingdom of Venice
12. What was the nickname of Æthelred II, king of the English between 978 and 1013?
A. The Well Prepared
B. The Poorly Done
C. The Unready
13. Why was Richard I, the King of England from 1189 to 1199, nicknamed Richard Cœur de Lion or Richard the Lionheart?
A. He liked eating lion hearts
B. He was a great warrior and military leader
C. His cloak was always depicted with a lion
14. In addition to the Lionheart, King Richard I was also known as Ricart Oc-E-Non in Occitan. What does it mean?
A. Yes and no
B. Up and down
C. Good and bad
15. Which king of England was nicknamed Lackland as he was not expected to inherit a lot of lands?
16. What was the nickname for William I, the first Norman king of England from 1066 to 1087?
A. William the Explorer
B. William the Controller
C. William the Conqueror
17. Why was Edward III, King of England from 1327 to 1377 known as “King of the Sea”?
A. He built a very strong navy
B. He won almost all battles on the sea
C. He spent a lot of money on sea excursions
18. What was the nickname for King Henry VII of England due to his ability to increase the revenue for the dynasty?
A. Henry the Treasurer
B. Henry the Accountant
C. Henry to Banker
19. What is the nickname for Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark since 1972?
20. Which king was known as the “Father of Europe” because he was the first person to unite most of Western Europe since the Roman Empire?
A. Napoleon Bonaparte
B. Alexander the Great
21. What was the nickname of Louis XV, king of France from 1715 to 1774?
A. Louis the Well-Beloved
B. Louis the Favourable
C. Louis the Adored
22. What was the nickname of Umberto II, the last King of Italy in only 34 days in 1946?
A. The King of January
B. The King of May
C. The King of December
23. “The Napoleon of the Pacific” is the nickname of Kamehameha I, the king of which kingdom in the Pacific Ocean from 1782 to 1819?
24. Which nickname was associated with King William IV of the United Kingdom due to his service in the Royal Navy when he was young?
A. The Captain King
B. The Ocean King
C. The Sailor King
25. “The Scourge of God” was the nickname of which European king?
A. Attila the Hun
B. Victor Emmanuel III
C. Constantine II
26. What was the nickname of Frederick V, the king of Bohemia between 1619 and 1620?
A. The Spring King
B. The Winter King
C. The Summer King
What do you think about these king nicknames quiz questions and answers? We hope you learn some interesting facts and enjoy your time. For more challenges on the same topic, check out the following nickname quiz.