Perhaps no spirit in the world features the highs and lows of gin. The drink has long been an important part of the culture in various countries. Check out the following (not so easy, not so hard) trivia gin quiz questions and answers to see how much you know about it.
Gin Quiz Questions And Answers
1. The name Gin is a short version of which word?
2. Which country in the world has the highest consumption of gin per capita?
C. The Philippines
3. What does the term London Dry Gin mean?
A. A type of gin produced in London
B. A gin brand
C. A method of manufacturing gin
4. To which species do the Juniper plants, which are used for producing gin, belong?
B. Deciduous tree
5. Sipsmith uses juniper berries from which country to produce gin?
6. What is the minimum alcohol level to be a true gin?
A. Around 32.5 per cent
B. Around 37.5 per cent
C. Around 41.5 per cent
7. Which alcoholic drink is the base spirit in gin?
8. After juniper, which plant is mostly used in gin?
B. Cassia bark
9. Genever is known as the precursor to modern gin. In which country did it originate?
10. Sloe Gin is produced from which berry species?
11. In the 1800s, the use of tonics and gin helped prevent which pandemics?
12. Which effect does the orris root have in a gin?
A. Ensure a clear colour
B. Fix in the flavour
C. Create a herbal flavour
13. Which of the following gin brands rediscovered the gin recipe Old Tom in 2007?
14. Which style of gin is often called the “missing link” between London Dry and jenever?
A. Old Age
B. Old Man
C. Old Tom
15. When did the “gin craze”, an epidemic of extreme drunkenness that led to a legislative backlash and moral outrage, took place in London?
A. 16th century
B. 18th century
C. 20th century
16. In the 19th century, colonial soldiers in India drank tonic water and gin to help prevent which disease?
17. The classic Martini is a combination of gin and which ingredient?
18. When is the World Gin Day?
A. January 25th
B. June 13th
C. September 7th
19. What percentage of households in London during the 1720s either sold or produced gin?
A. 25 per cent
B. 50 per cent
C. 75 per cent
20. How long should barrel-aged gin be rested in casks?
A. 6 months
B. 12 months
C. No limit
21. What is the base of London Dry gin?
A. Grain neutral spirit
C. Eau de vie
22. Which cocktail blends soda water, sugar syrup, lemon juice, and Old Tom Gin?
B. Bloody Mary
C. Tom Collins
23. Containing more than 40 botanicals, this gin is distilled in the Black Forest in Germany. What is it?
C. Monkey 47
24. From which surplus fruit in the UK is Hyke Gin made?
25. The Gin and Tonic originated in which country?
26. What was the nickname British Troops gave to genever when they fought alongside the Dutch in the 17th century?
A. Dutch Magic
B. Dutch Courage
C. Dutch Wonder
27. What percentage of alcohol does Navy strength gin contain?
A. 50 per cent
B. 57 per cent
C. 61 per cent
28. Which ingredient determines the bitter taste of tonic water?
29. In which country can we find gin-cured salmon?
30. What are the main ingredients in a gimlet?
A. Gin and lime cordial
B. Gin and ginger ale
C. Gin and fresh lemon
31. What are the main ingredients in a dirty martini?
A. Gin, hot sauce, and vermouth
B. Gin, pickled onion, and vermouth
C. Gin, olive juice, and vermouth
32. What percentage of gin volume in the United Kingdom is produced in Scotland?
A. Around 20 to 30 per cent
B. Around 40 to 50 per cent
C. Around 70 to 80 per cent
33. What is the best method to taste and compare gin?
A. With the recommended garnish and tonic
B. Mix with water at the 50:50 ratio
C. Ice cold on the rocks
34. What does bathtub gin mean?
A. Gin made in a bathtub
B. Gin made in the city of Bath
C. Gin made illegally at home
35. From which does Old Tom gin get its name?
A. A street in London
B. An old man
C. A black cat
36. This is the recipe of which cocktail: gin, Benedictine, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters, pineapple juice, and lemon?
A. Singapore Sling
With its special taste and flavour, gin has quickly become one of the favourite spirits in the country over the past decades. These gin quiz questions and answers might give you some interesting facts about the drink. Check out this post on the wine trivia quiz or this one about cocktails if you still have time.