More than 2,500 years ago, one of the most advanced ancient civilizations was developed in Greece. The Greeks invented the study of history, athletics, theatre, philosophy, science, politics, and the first alphabet in Europe. Check out the following 30 Greek alphabet quiz questions and answers to see how much you know about it.
Greek Alphabet Quiz Questions And Answers
1. When did the Ancient Greeks develop the alphabet?
A. Around 1,500 BC
B. Around 800 BC
C. Around 300 BC
2. What is the last letter in the Greek alphabet?
3. How many letters are there in the Greek alphabet?
4. What is the name of this letter in the Greek alphabet: Σ?
5. Which letter follows alpha and beta in the Greek alphabet?
6. Greek letters were actually adapted from an earlier alphabet developed by which ancient civilisation?
7. Letters in the Greek alphabet are often used for which of the following?
A. Drug names
B. Mathematical symbols
C. Chemical formulas
8. Which of the following facts is true about the Greek alphabet?
A. It was the first alphabet to use consonants
B. It was the first alphabet to have upper and lower cases
C. It was the first alphabet to use vowels
9. In addition to Greece, which other country also uses Greek as one of its official languages?
C. North Macedonia
10. The letter Sigma in the Greek alphabet is typically used to represent what in mathematics?
A. A summation
B. An angle
C. A change in quantity
11. Why did the World Health Organisation skip the letter “Xi” for the name of a new Covid-19 variant?
A. Because it is difficult to pronounce and write
B. Because it is the name of a famous scientist
C. Because it is a common last name
12. Which Greek letter looks like a triangle?
13. The Greek letter “pi” is used for denoting a constant in mathematics. What is the approximate value of pi?
14. In astronomy, the letter alpha is used to denote what?
A. The biggest star in the constellation
B. The brightest star in the constellation
C. The fastest star in the constellation
15. Which letter in the Greek alphabet is used to name a class of fatty acids in many foods?
16. How does the letter “phi” look like?
A. The letter O with a vertical line through the centre
B. The letter O with a horizontal line through the centre
C. The letter O
17. Which of the following is not the name of a letter in the Greek alphabet?
18. Which of the following is a meaning of the Greek letter “iota” in English?
A. An extremely small amount
B. An extremely large amount
C. A sufficient amount
19. The Greek letter “alpha” is commonly used to describe which of the following?
A. The first stage in the development of a product
B. The leader in an animal group
C. The strongest athlete in a sports team
20. What does it mean when a product, normally hardware or software, is in a beta stage?
A. It is waiting for a license
B. It is being tested
C. It is fully launched
21. In physics, what does the Greek letter lambda represent?
A. Wavelength of lights
B. Wavelength of sounds
C. Wavelength of waves
22. Which letter in the Greek alphabet is also the name of a popular Italian sportswear brand?
23. In Ancient Greek, letters in the Greek alphabet are also used for what in the Greek language?
A. Greek numbers
B. Greek dates and months
C. Greek last names
24. Which kind of organisation in the United States is typically named with a sequence of letters in the Greek alphabet?
A. Boy Scouts
B. Fraternities and sororities
C. Charity foundations
25. Why do we use the Greek letter delta for referring to wetlands of deposited sediment at the mouth of a river?
A. These areas are shaped like a triangle
B. Delta is the Greek god who controls these areas
C. A scientist named Delta coined this term
26. In the 1971 American movie “The Omega Man” movie, Boris Sagal is the survivor after which event?
A. A global pandemic
B. A world war
C. An alien attack
27. Greek writing was originally read in which direction?
A. From left to right
B. From right to left
C. From down to up
28. How many letters were there in early versions of the Greek alphabet?
29. In Ancient Greek, the alphabet version of which city-state was mainly used?
30. Which type of radiation is typically used in medicine for treating some forms of cancer?
A. Alpha rays
B. Theta rays
C. Gamma rays
What do you think about these Greek alphabet quiz questions and answers? We hope you learn some interesting facts and enjoy your time. For more challenges on the same topic, check out the following A to Z quiz.