Whether you are trying to learn something about Oscars to impress your film mates at a party, or you know the Academy Award inside and out, then you are in the right place. From prominent actors and actresses to historic titles, we’ve wrapped up everything in the following Oscars quiz questions and answers to test your knowledge of the most-watched awards event in the entertainment industry.
Oscars Quiz Questions and Answers
1. Which “talkie” or movie with a soundtrack won the Special Award in 1929?
B. Birth of a Nation
C. The Jazz Singer
2. Which actor or actress was awarded the first Oscar ever?
A. Douglas Fairbanks
B. Emil Jannings
C. Mary Pickford
3. The first Academy Awards event took place in which year?
4. Where was the first Academy Awards event take place?
A. The Broadway Theater
B. The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
C. The Dolby Theatre
5. How much does an Oscar Statuette or trophy weigh?
A. 4.5 pounds – 2 kilograms
B. 6.5 pounds – 2.9 kilograms
C. 8.5 pounds – 3.8 kilograms
6. What is the mythical origin of the nickname “Oscar”?
A. Oscar was one of the first award winners
B. The word stands for “Only stars can achieve rewards”
C. An employee of the Academy claimed the trophy looked like her uncle Oscar
7. When was the first Academy Awards ceremony televised?
8. In 1959 ceremony, what did Jerry Lewis do to fill the show when it ended 20 minutes early?
A. Invite stars to join a dance contest in the stage
B. Do a striptease
C. Just walk off and leave 20-minute dead air
9. What was the original name of the “Best Picture” category?
A. Best motion picture
B. Outstanding picture
C. Artistic and unique picture”
10. Which of the following category was once a nominated title in the Academy Awards?
A. Best Title Writing
B. Best Craft Service
C. Best Trailer
11. Which film isn’t tied as the one with the most Oscar nominations ever?
B. All about eve
C. Citizen Kane
12. What is the current record for the most awards a single film has won?
13. Which actress won the Best Actress award in her film debut?
A. Julie Andrews
B. Katharine Hepburn
C. Meryl Streep
14. What is the Oscar statuette made of?
A. Solid gold
B. Metal alloy covered in gold, silver, and copper
C. Plastic covered in gold
15. Which film in the “Star Wars” series was nominated for the Best Picture award?
A. Star Wars – A New Hope – 1977
B. Star Wars – Empire Strikes Back – 1980
C. Star Wars – Return of the Jedi – 1983
16. Which animated film was the first of its kind to be nominated for the Best Picture award?
A. Snow White
B. Beauty and the Beast
C. Toy Story
17. What is the difference between Midnight Cowboy and other films which won the Best Picture award?
A. Nobody claimed the Oscar statuette
B. It came with an X rating
C. The producers didn’t use their names in the film
18. The first women won the Best Actor award in …
19. Which actress has won the most Academy Awards?
A. Judi Dench
B. Katharine Hepburn
C. Meryl Streep
20. Which of the following non-human figure hosted the Academy Awards event before?
A. Mickey Mouse
B. Donald Duck
21. Who was the first African-American actor or actress to win the Academy Awards?
A. Sidney Poitier
B. Hattie McDaniel
C. Denzel Washington
22. Meryl Streep has been nominated for the Oscars for how many times?
23. Which woman has the most Oscar nominations?
A. Edith Head
B. Elaine May
C. Kathleen Kennedy
24. The shortest speech in the Academy Awards history lasted for …
A. 2 words
B. 5 words
C. 10 words
25. Where is the Academy Awards ceremony held each year?
A. The Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles
B. The Plaza Hotel in New York
C. The Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles
26. So far how many animated films have nominations for the Best Picture award?
27. Which of the following franchise or series has won multiple awards for the Best Picture?
A. The Godfather
B. Star Wars
C. Lord of the Rings
28. What was the first R-rated film to be nominated for the Best Picture award?
A. The French Connection
B. Midnight Cowboy
C. The Godfather
29. Who has hosted the Academy Awards the most?
A. Billy Crystal
B. Johnny Carson
C. Bob Hope
30. Which colour film won the first Best Picture award in its category?
A. Gone with the wind
B. The Wizard of Oz
C. The grapes of wrath
Can you answer all of these questions about the Academy Awards? Hope you have fun with it. For more trivia questions, try this quiz about Star Wars.