Pantomime is a strange genre, particularly to those people who do not live in the United States/UK or Western world in general. However, it has been a popular staple of US/European entertainment for decades. Check out the following 30 pantomime quiz questions and answers to see how much you know about it.
Pantomime Quiz Questions and Answers
1. Around what time of the year are pantomimes mostly performed?
A. During the summer
B. During the Christmas
C. During Easter
2. The stories of pantomimes are mostly based on which genre?
A. Children’s stories
B. Classical novels
C. Historical events
3. Which of the following facts is true about pantomime?
A. It is a form of tragedy theatre
B. It is only performed in big theatres
C. It greatly encourages the participation of the audience
4. The roots of pantomime partly developed from the 16th-century traditions of Commedia dell Arte in which European country?
5. In the pantomime “Jack and the Beanstalk”, which animal is traded by Jack for a handful of magic beans?
A. A cow
B. A horse
C. A sheep
6. Which of the following is not a stock character in pantomime?
A. The lead boy
B. The dame
C. The comedy girl
7. Which of the following can be used to describe the typical content of pantomime?
8. What does the prefix “panto-” in pantomime mean?
9. The earliest forerunners to modern pantomimes were popular in which ancient civilization?
A. Ancient Greece
B. Ancient Rome
C. Ancient Egypt
10. Which of the following work by William Shakespeare was impacted by the pantomime of Juno and Ceres?
A. The Tempest
B. King Lear
11. Which of the following facts is true about the Panto Dame in pantomime?
A. It is almost always played by a man
B. Her make-up and costume are totally elegant and beautiful
C. It is a minor role in pantomime
12. When was the Principal Boy introduced as a stock character in pantomime?
A. During the Elizabethan era
B. During the Stuart era
C. During the Victorian era
13. What is the name of the father in the pantomime “Cinderella”?
A. Jasper Fforde
B. Baron Hardup
C. Henry Wheatley
14. In a pantomime, the “goodies” often appear from which side of the stage?
C. It depends on the pantomime
15. King Rat is a character in which pantomime?
B. Sleeping Beauty
C. Dick Whittington and His Cat
16. Which of the following characters appears in the pantomime “Babes in the Wood”?
17. What is the name of the princess in the pantomime “Sleeping Beauty”?
18. Widow Twankey and Wisheee Washee are characters in which pantomime?
B. Peter Pan
C. Puss in Boots
19. The names of Snow White’s seven dwarfs include Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Grumpy, Doc, Happy, and …
20. What is the occupation of the Seven Dwarfs?
21. In the pantomime “Hansel and Gretel”, what do the brother and sister eat when they are abandoned in a forest?
A. A gingerbread house
B. A chocolate house
C. A cream house
22. Every time when Dick Whittington speaks his name, which part of the body does he slap?
23. Which of the following characters is not featured in the Medieval English Christmas pantomimes?
A. The Turkish Knight
B. Father Christmas
C. St. Nicholas
24. Which of the following is a tradition associated with the last lines of a pantomime?
A. They should repeat the first lines
B. They should never be spoken during rehearsal
C. They should involve the audience’s participation
25. Which of the following is a common type of comedy often used in pantomime?
A. A slapstick
B. A rubber chicken
C. A breakaway chair
26. What is odd about the dame and the principal boy in pantomime?
A. They never appear on stage at the same time
B. They are always played by the opposite sex
C. They have to wear costumes in different colours
27. Which of the following is a famous pantomime performer?
A. Marcel Marceau
B. Charlie Chaplin
C. Benedict Cumberbatch
28. The fairy godmother of Cinderella transforms what into a coach?
A. A potato
B. A cucumber
C. A pumpkin
29. When was pantomime first introduced to the stage in England?
A. 16th century
B. 17th century
C. 18th century
30. In pantomime, what does the left side of the stage typically symbolize?
How do you find about these pantomime quiz questions and answers? We hope you have a lot of fun and learn some interesting facts about this unique type of musical comedy. For more challenges, check out the following soap quiz.