Learning a language is the best way to know about a new culture. There’s more than just memorizing basic grammar rules and words. You can enjoy small talk with a native, listen to an interesting song, or read your favorite book in the original version. Check out the following trivia language quiz questions and answers to see how much you know.
Language Quiz Questions And Answers
1. According to dictionary entries, which language has the largest number of words (more than 200,000 words)?
2. Which of the following is not a Germanic language?
3. Which of the following languages is related to Spanish the most?
4. Which of the following languages has no alphabet?
5. Approximately how many languages are currently spoken in the world today?
A. Around 1,000
B. Around 7,000
C. Around 30,000
6. Include both non-native and native, which language has the most speakers in the world?
7. Which of the following is not an English language exam?
8. How to say “hello” in Spanish?
9. What does the word “polyglot” mean?
A. A language with more than 1 billion speakers
B. A country with more than three official languages
C. A person who can speak multiple languages
10. Which alphabetic system of phonetic notation is widely used around the world as a standardised representation of speech sounds in written form?
11. Which word refers to a language created for communication between people from different countries who do not share the same first language?
A. International auxiliary language
B. International supportive language
C. International connecting language
12. What is the most widely spoken constructed international auxiliary language in the world?
13. Which of the following languages is constructed by J. R. R. Tolkien, the author of The Lord of the Rings?
C. High Valyrian
14. What is the main difference between a language and a dialect?
A. A dialect is only spoken in some regions of a nation
B. A language has a written form, while a dialect does not have
C. People of different dialects of a language can understand each other, while people of two different languages cannot
15. Grammatical gender is how the language deals with nouns. Choose the right list with languages from the most to least grammatical genders?
A. German, French, English
B. French, English, German
C. English, German, French
16. Which of the following lists includes countries with the largest number of languages?
A. China, Russia, The United States
B. Nigeria, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea
C. The United Kingdom, Brazil, South Africa
17. Which continent has the most languages?
18. What is the most common word order in most languages in the world?
A. Subject – Verb – Object
B. Subject – Object – Verb
C. Object – Verb – Object
19. What does the prefix neo- mean?
20. How many national languages are there in Switzerland?
21. Which country has up to 16 official languages?
B. South Africa
22. What is a possible reason why a language may disappear?
A. People choose to learn more superior languages, which are inherently better
B. People choose to learn easier languages with simple grammars or pronunciations
C. People choose to learn languages with high prestige to get better opportunities
23. What is a dead language?
A. A language that has no speakers anymore
B. A language that is not the native language of any community
C. A language that is not officially recognised by any government
24. Which of the following used to be a dead language, but was then successfully revived to become a living language today?
25. Most historians agree that the writing form of languages originated from which civilisation?
26. Which term refers to special expressions or words used by a group or profession that are difficult for others to understand?
27. What is a tonal language, also known as a tone language?
A. A language that emphasises with vocal pitch
B. A language that changes the meaning of the words with vocal pitch
C. A language that involves the use of vocal pitch in speaking
28. Which of the following languages can be the most mutually intelligible?
A. Danish, Norwegian, Swedish
B. Spanish, Portuguese, French
C. Japanese, Korean, Mandarin
29. Which of the following Asian languages uses the Latin alphabet?
30. Which language has the most native speakers in the world, with more than 900 million people?
B. Mandarin Chinese
If you are a bilingual, trilingual, or polyglot, these language quiz questions and answers can be piece of cake. For more challenges, make sure to check out the following Australia quiz.