Devil’s brew, hooch, or booze. No matter what nickname you call alcohol, it is a fun part of our life. While we drink it daily or weekly, do you actually know where it comes from? Let’s check your wine and beer knowledge with these alcohol history quiz questions and answers.
Alcohol History Quiz Questions and Answers
1. It is said that the shape of our modern champagne glasses is derived from the mould of whose breasts?
A. Joan of Arc
B. Queen Victoria
C. Marie Antoinette
2. The first corkscrew in the work was patented in what year?
3. The earliest evidence of alcohol production dates back to which period of history?
A. The Stone Age
B. The Bronze Age
C. The Iron Age
4. “Alcohol” is a word derived from which language?
5. What did Dom Perignon invent in the 17th century?
A. Champagne cork
B. Wine glass bottle
6. The first distillation of alcohol occurred from 500 to 400 BCE in which country?
C. Saudi Arabia
7. Pulque, which is an alcoholic drink produced from fermented agrave, is a part of what civilisation in Central and South America?
8. The Manhattan cocktail, a blend of sweet vermouth and whisky, was first created by the mother of which famous politician?
A. John F. Kennedy
B. Winston Churchill
C. Joseph Stalin
9. When was the first time when beer was sold in cans?
10. Which of the following companies registered the first alcoholic trademark?
A. Bass Brewery
B. Anheuser-Busch InBev
11. In Greek mythology, who is the god of wine?
12. In 2018, the world’s oldest brewery was discovered in a cave in which country?
13. What is considered to be the oldest alcoholic beverage in the world?
14. Where was the first evidence of wine production discovered?
15. With which countries do people often associate cognac?
16. “Basically, I am for anything that gets you through the night – be it prayer, tranquillisers or a bottle of Jack Daniel’s”? Which actor said that?
A. Leonardo DiCaprio
B. Tom Hanks
C. Frank Sinatra
17. In the 17th century, which type of wine was used to replace mercury in thermometers?
18. When was the first time when beer was sold bottles?
19. “An alcoholic is someone who drinks more than his doctor”? Who said that?
A. Richard Burton
B. Oscar Wilde
C. Oliver Reed
20. Brewing methods took place first from which civilisation?
A. Ancient Egypt
B. Ancient China
C. Ancient India
21. Which of the following counties first produced sparkling wine for commercial purposes?
22. Gin, a type of distilled alcoholic beverage, was originally used for which purposes?
B. Oral hygiene
C. Cleaning solutions
23. In 1964, the Congress of the United States declared … to be the official alcoholic beverage of the country.
24. The Prohibition, a nationwide ban on the production, sale, and importation of alcoholic drinks, was effective for how many years?
A. 5 years
B. 13 years
C. 21 years
25. According to the Christian Bible, Jesus Christ turned water into wine in which occasion?
A. A war victory
B. A wedding
C. A birthday
26. Throughout history, beer was often consumed by sailors to prevent which illness?
C. Heart attack
27. Which leading brewer established an offshoot firm which later became one of the largest industrial ceramic manufacturers in the world?
28. Which brewer has a lease of up to 9000 years on its brewing facilities?
29. Which is the first country to set 21 as the legal age for drinking?
A. The United States
30. Which of the following drinks was named after a popular hoax in the 19th century?
C. Tom Collins
31. Who is the first US president to brew his own beer in the White House?
A. Bill Clinton
B. Barrack Obama
C. Donald Trump
32. Who is often considered to be the patron saint of brewing?
A. Arnold of Soissons
B. Saint Amand
C. Arnulf of Metz
33. The only commercial endorsement of Ernest Hemingway in 1951 was for which alcoholic brand?
A. Ballantine Ale
34. According to “The Code of Hammurabi” in ancient Babylonia, what would happen when a merchant attempts to dilute beer?
A. They were fined
B. They were put to death
C. They were put in jail
35. What did Johnnie Walker originally do before he started selling whiskey?
A. A farmer
B. A blacksmith
C. A grocery owner
36. Which empire was mostly attributed to the international production and commercialisation of alcoholic drinks?
A. Roman Empire
B. Ottoman Empire
C. British Empire
Everyone drinks alcohol, but not everyone knows its history. We hope this quiz could give you some insights into these popular drinks. If you want more questions, then try this one on welding techniques.