Over the long course of history, witches have received lots of bad reputations. People across the world believe they always try to harm the innocents, probably due to the many myths around witchcraft. But is that actually true? Check out the following 27 trivia witch quiz questions and answers to see how much you know.
Witch Quiz Questions And Answers
1. Which film helped popularise the modern visual image of the witch, with a pointed hat, flowing robes, old hag, mole, and hooked nose?
B. The Wizard of Oz
C. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
2. A witch typically flies on what?
A. A carpet
B. A sparrow
C. A broomstick
3. In which country do fairy tales depict Baba Yaga, an old witch who lives in a house that can walk around on chicken legs?
4. During the Middle Ages, the practice of witchcraft was widely regarded as what?
5. What is the name of the witch featured in the 1939 film “The Wizard of Oz”?
A. Wicked Witch of the West
B. Bellatrix Lestrange
C. Big Noses
6. Witchcraft began as an oral practice. When witches were hunted and killed, this tradition shifted into a written and secret one and each witch had to keep magical incantations in what?
A. A magical diary
B. Book of shadows
C. Kitchen drawer
7. Which long-standing stereotype about witches was established in 1486 when Jacob Sprenger and Heinrich Kramer published the Malleus Maleficarum?
A. Witches are accompanied by black cats
B. Witches always wear pointy hats
C. Witches are mostly women
8. Which of the following is a series of children books about witches written by Jill Murphy?
A. The Worst Witch
B. The Best Witch
C. The Good Witch
9. What does the word “coven” usually refer to?
A. A place where witches met
B. A gathering of witches
C. A secret spell witches often use
10. In which notable work by William Shakespeare do the three witches speak the famous line: “Double, double toil and trouble”?
A. King Lear
C. A Midsummer Night’s Dream
11. In India, the word for witch is dakini. What does this word literally mean?
A. A woman owning a black cat
B. A woman flying on a broomstick
C. A woman with supernatural powers
12. What is the name of the famous witch trials taking place in the USA between 1692 and 1693 in which more than 200 people were accused of witchcraft?
A. The Salem witch trials
B. The Harlem witch trials
C. The Darlem witch trials
13. Which of the following historical figure was accused of being a witch?
A. Eleanor of Aquitaine
B. Mother Teresa
C. Joan of Arc
14. Which of the following is the name of a religion based on the practice of witchcraft?
15. For approximately how many years did witch hunts take place in Europe?
A. Around 20 years
B. Around 100 years
C. Around 300 years
16. Which kind of chair was used during the Middle Ages to identify witches?
A. Ducking stools
B. Iron stools
C. Tiger stools
17. When do witches celebrate the New Year, which marks the time when the veil between the dead and the living is thin?
A. 30th February
B. 31st May
C. 31st October
18. Witches in the modern time typically refer to their craft as what?
19. What is the name of the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the fantasy series “Harry Potter”?
20. In the fairy tale “Hansel and Gretel” by the Brothers Grimm, the house of the witch is made of which food?
21. In the fairy tale “The Little Mermaid” by Hans Christian Andersen, what does the Sea Witch want in exchange for giving the Little Mermaid her legs?
A. Her voice
B. Her hair
C. Her soul
22. Before using their magic, witches need to cast a protective … to give them a sacred place.
23. In the fantasy film “Sleep Beauty”, the dark fairy/witch Maleficent is able to transform into which animal?
A. A dragon
B. A sparrow
C. A black cat
24. In the fantasy series “The Chronicles of Narnia”, what did the White Witch do to Narnia?
A. She cursed Narnia to eternal darkness
B. She cursed Narnia to eternal
C. She cursed Narnia to eternal winter
25. Which of the following is a fictional character appearing in the Marvel Universe?
A. The Charlotte Witch
B. The Amelia Witch
C. The Scarlet Witch
26. What did the witch Yubaba do to the parents of the small girl, Chihiro Ogino, in the Japanese animated fantasy film “Spirited Away”?
A. She captured them
B. She turned them into pigs
C. She killed them
27. In the animated fantasy film “Howl’s Moving Castle”, what is the name of the witch who transforms Sophie into an old woman?
A. The Witch of the Trash
B. The Witch of the Waste
C. The Witch of the Garbage