Cooking can be a boring daily routine for many people. However, it is actually a big world with creative recipes and complicated techniques. The ultimate goal is to create tasty, flavourful, and nutritious dishes. Test your culinary knowledge with the following trivia cooking quiz questions and answers.
Cooking Quiz Questions and Answers
1. What do we call the process of submerging veggies or fruits quickly in boiling water?
2. A roux is often added while cooking to help thicken sauces or soups. What are the main ingredients of this sauces?
A. Flour and butter
B. Flour and egg
C. Flour and water
3. Which of the following kinds of pasta has its name meaning “little worms” in Italian?
4. Which dish do we have when cooking beef in puff pastry?
B. Beef Wellington
C. Shepherd’s Pie
5. We all know most types of carrots are now orange, but what were their original colours in the past?
6. Which of the following additives consists of skin and bones of animals?
B. Custard powder
7. What do we call the caramelised juices remaining in our pan after meat is browned?
8. Which shape do we have when julienning veggies or fruits?
A. Round shapes
9. Which of the following seafood is also known as the “Norwegian lobster”?
10. Who is the good of food and drink in the ancient Greek myths?
11. What does it mean when we macerate slightly underripe fruits?
A. Heat slightly and soak in water
B. Soak in a mixture of alcohol and sugar
C. Soak in a mixture of water and vinegar or lemon juice
12. Pecorino cheese originally comes from which country?
13. In French, bouillabaisse is the name of which kind of stew?
14. To cook pasta al dente perfectly, which should its texture look like?
A. Crunchy and crispy
B. Moist and soft
C. Tender and firm
15. Which of the following ingredients is used when poaching foods?
16. Au jus is a culinary term originated from French. It means loosely cooked in …
A. Natural juices
17. What do we call the person who is responsible for making sauces in professional kitchens?
B. Sauce maker
C. Sauce chef
18. What do we do when zesting a citrus fruit?
A. Squeeze juice
B. Cut the membranes
C. Scrape off the rind
19. How should we cook steak tartare?
C. Well done
20. When we cook down a liquid ingredient to make it thicker, it has been …
21. Which of the following ingredients can be found in many Indian recipes?
22. What do we call the process of mixing droplets of vinegar and oil to make them not separate?
23. What is a mandoline used for?
A. Slice ingredients thinly
B. Puree ingredients
C. Slow-cook ingredients
24. What do we have when whipping egg whites?
C. Whipped cream
25. 1 cup is approximately equivalent to how many tablespoons?
26. What is a chicken’s airline breast?
A. A chicken breast with an attached first wing bone
B. A chicken breast that is butterflied
C. A chicken breast that is deboned
27. Foods in a wok are often cooker over …
A. Low heat
B. Middle heat
C. High heat
28. What do we call the process of searing and cooking meat over low heat in an extended period?
29. Beurre blanc is a butter sauce made from which main ingredients?
A. Butter and flour
B. White wine, shallots, and butter
C. Vinegar, sugar, and flour
30. Which has a higher smoke point: peanut oil or canola oil?
A. Canola oil
B. Peanut oil
C. Both have the same smoke point
31. What do we call the process of preventing lumps in dry ingredients by putting them through a strainer?
32. What is often the first step in most baking recipes?
A. Cracking eggs
B. Preheating the oven
C. Mixing ingredients in a bowl
33. What is the culinary term for improving the presentation of a dish by decorating with ingredients?
34. Which ingredient is often added to make bread rise?
35. What are the main ingredients of custards?
A. Cream and egg yolks
B. Flour and egg whites
C. Cream and flour
36. In addition to rice, which ingredient is added in bisque soups?
37. What is the best way to make onions taste sweeter?
A. Soak in alcohol
B. Mix with sugar
38. A springform pan is often used for cooking which dish?
B. Bundt cake
C. Sweet cake
39. Which kind of cookware is often used for making custard or melting chocolate?
A. Sauce pan
B. Double boiler
C. Saute pan
40. Which spice is often floated in cider or put into hams?
B. Garlic powder
So, how do you feel about these cooking quiz questions and answers? If it is easy for you, then we can be sure that you are a good chef. Check out the following dinosaur quiz to have more fun and learn more interesting facts.